About this Comic
A sheltered rich girl dreams to see the world and finds her ticket in a mysterious, brooding drifter with a terrible secret: he is the King of Pain, bearer of the terrible curse known as Exvulnerum. As the two travel together, they encounter danger and magic, old friends and new foes... but the biggest obstacle will be the unthinkable curse itself.
While a great deal of this comic is light-hearted and fun, it does deal with some serious themes and is not for children. This comic contains, will contain, or possibly will contain the following: suicide, blood, and physical and mental torture.
Frequently Asked Questions
When does this comic update?
- Update day is currently Monday. I usually upload the pages the afternoon before (Central US time) so that it'll be up by midnight in a good number of time zones.
How long will this comic be?
- Really long.
How do you make your pages?
- I work completely digitally, using a Wacom tablet from sketching to shading to touch-ups. I used the program Paint Tool SAI (with small effects done in Photoshop Elements) for the old prologue and much of Chapter 1--then switched to Manga Studio 5 on page 49 (as of chapter 8, I have updated to Clip Studio Paint Pro). I also used DesignDoll to create poses which I then illustrated for much of chapters 6 through 10, but I only infrequently use it now.
Can you put my character in your comic?
- No, sorry. I am only using my own original characters in the comic.
Do you take art commissions?
- Unfortunately, I am working 5-6 days a week drawing Exvulnerum, so I don't really have the time to commit to other art projects.
I'm a first-time reader. Can I read Exvulnerum backwards? Like, starting from the most recent page and clicking "back" again and again?
- No. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? You're bad at reading webcomics and you should feel bad. :P
How can I contact you?
About the Author
HI I'M ZULES. Real name: Julia Swan Wroble. I got addicted to coffee in order to bring you this comic.
I LOVE being a webcomic artist because one of my favorite things to do is to craft and tell absurdly long stories! See the section below on "Exvulnerum's History" to learn more about my storytelling past!
I am a Christian and give all credit for any good I've done to God... Also, I wouldn't be where I am today without my best friend, Ariel, and my husband, Avidro!!
Some interesting things about me:
- I wrote a 369,000-words-long novel instead of going to college
- I met my husband on a dating website, and we lived in different states up until we got married (and a few months after that)!
- Truly INFJ, super homebody
- I used to be very afraid of criticism and very anxious around people... now I welcome helpful criticism and am only slightly anxious around people! :P
- I type on a Dvorak, TypeMatrix keyboard
- When I was a kid, literally my favorite toys were drinking straws which I would bend and shape and pretend were action figures
Things I like or have been inspired by:
Star Trek, Fullmetal Alchemist, Homestuck, Pokemon, Steven Universe, Babylon 5, Japanese, C.S. Lewis, TwoKinds, Slightly Damned, WWE, baseball, vocaloid, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Gintama, Animal Crossing, Guild Wars 2, The Endless Forest, MBTI, Jane Eyre, NaNoWriMo, Fruits Basket, and Interstella 5555!
Exultation is the going
Of an inland soul to sea,
Past the houses—past the headlands—
Into deep Eternity—
Bred as we, among the mountains,
Can the sailor understand
The divine intoxication
Of the first league out from land?
Good places to contact me:
And do it!!! Contact me!!! I love hearing from readers!!! :D
Exvulnerum started as an idea for a novel that was supposed to be written for a writing challenge in January 2008. I liked the idea of the story so much, however, that I couldn't bring myself to actually write it when the time came. I was afraid of ruining it. I did, however, upload this very first drawing of Amber on DeviantArt during this period of time. Back then, Amber's name was spelled differently, and the story had elements that were eventually changed.
By June of 2009, I was into the idea of creating comics, especially webcomics. I started with a 12-page, unfinished comic named Turned (which was based on my first ever attempt at a novel). I gave up on it only a month later.
The next year, I decided to try turning Exvulnerum into a comic, also. On May 1, 2010, when I was 17 years old, I uploaded the cover to the prologue and my first page. This 2010 prologue, which I'll call "The Original Prologue," is no longer available online, but "The Old Prologue"--which was crafted in 2014--is a very close revamp of my original version. A post titled "Prologue RevampIRE" in the old news archive details the changes I made, and indeed the entire archive documents the comic's history from September 2010 to December 2015.
Noteworthy is that I decided to commit my full energy to Exvulnerum as my main occupation starting January 2015. Prior to this, Exvulnerum went as long as nearly 2 years between page uploads, since it did not command my full attention. (Between August 2011 and September 2014, I was mostly focused on writing a novel called Genie, which ended up being the first novel I ever completed a first draft of. Also, it's the size of 3 or 4 normal-sized novels.)
In early 2017, the second and more magnificent iteration of the Exvulnerum forum community--this time, called Cresnov--was launched.
In late 2017, I decided that the prologue needed to be completely redrawn and restructured so that it would be more likely to hook potential readers, and so I took a 6 week hiatus from the comic (in the middle of Chapter 8) in order to produce and upload this new prologue, which was uploaded fully in February 2018.
Link to Exvulnerum
The best way to link to Exvulnerum is to share this URL:
It will take people straight to the first page of the comic, and it's also easy to say out loud!
If you have your own website and would like to link to me using HTML, here are some spiffy banners you can use!
100% Reader Supported
Exvulnerum is my full-time job, and it is supported by readers like you! Please help me achieve minimum wage or something? That would be really great!
⭐ $1/month Patrons get behind-the-scenes sketches, scripts, and videos!!
🌟 $7/month Patrons get those things AND get a place in the box below!
Check out all the details, including other tier rewards and cumulative goals, here on my Patreon page!
Thank you to the following people for supporting Exvulnerum!
Custom sprites made by Zules.
Other great comics!